Determined Admission Arrangements
Saxon Way Primary School for the Academic Year 2015/16
- Children reach compulsory school age at the start of the term following their fifth birthday. Saxon Way Primary School will admit 3 year olds into its Foundation Stage 1 class, ie those children born between 1 September 2011 and 31 August 2012.
- Parents/carers need to complete the Common Application Form in accordance with the coordinated scheme.
- Parents/carers are not obliged to start their child at school until the beginning of the term after the child is 5. Therefore, parents/carers who have been offered a September place in Reception (Foundation Stage 2) may ask to defer their child’s admission until later in the school year of until the child reaches compulsory school age in that school year without losing the offer of a place. Parents/carers can also request that their child attends part time until the child reaches compulsory school age. Parents/carers of children with summer term birthdays (1 April to 31 August 2011) may ask to start their child in Year 1 in September 2016 but the Foundation Stage 2 place will not be saved. Parents/carers will have a reapply for a Year 1 place. Parents/carers are not able to defer entry beyond the beginning of the term after the child’s fifth birthday.
- The Planned Admission Numbers for Saxon Way Primary School for September 2015 are: FS1 = 50, FS2 = 60, Year 1 = 60, Year 2 = 30, Year 3 = 30, Year 4 = 30, Year 5 = 30 and Year 6 = 30.
Following receipt of parental/carer preferences, places will be offered to those children with statements of special educational needs where Saxon Way Primary School is named. Then, if the number of requests received via the coordinated scheme is more than the number of places available, places will be allocated in the following priority order:
- Children in public care – as defined in the Medway coordinated admission scheme.
- Current family association (brother or sister in the school at the time of application and still attending in September 2015).
- Child’s health reasons. Medical evidence must be provided which demonstrates a specific health reason, which requires a child to attend Saxon Way Primary School.
- Multiple birth children, as defined in the Medway coordinated admission scheme.
- Nearness of child’s home to school measured using Medway Council’s criteria.
Where criteria involves measuring distance to a child’s home, the Local Authority’s procedures for ascertaining the shortest available safe route between home and the school will be used.
In the event of a tie within any criterion before the last, places will be allocated to those living the closest distance to the school as mentioned above.
Parents/carers need to complete the Casual In-Year Admission Form and places will be offered in accordance with the coordinated scheme.
- Parents can apply for a casual admission at any time during the school year.
- If no places are available at the time of application, a waiting list will be maintained. Names are kept in priority order according to the oversubscription criteria and not according to how long a child’s name has been on the list.
- Any place that becomes available will be offered to the child at the top of the list.
- All vacancies will be allocated as they arise.
Casual Admissions when transferring schools without moving home
If a parent/carer wishes to transfer their child from another school without moving home, the Headteacher will contact the child’s current school to ascertain the situation so that our school is able to offer the correct support should the child be offered a place.
Parents/carers have the right to appeal if a place is not offered to their child. Appeals will be handled in line with the School Admissions Appeals Code.